Monday, January 10, 2011

Do I get sick days?


Okay, so you know how I’ve been super pumped and ready to stay committed to my new lifestyle? Well I still feel the same, but tell my body that! I came down with the flu and I feel terrible. So terrible that I could barely open my eyes this morning. My head felt full, my body ached, I had a fever and felt really dizzy...so instead of getting up at 9am to do my cardio, I laid in bed till 11:30am.  I felt so guilty, but didn’t really have time to dwell on it 'cause I had to go to my manager's birthday party. I know, what the hell was I thinking going out in my condition? (not to mention that I could get other people sick) My doctor once told me that you’re only contagious the first 3 days (and I was well over that) except that I was really starting to feel the effects today. 
Anywho... got up, showered, dressed and then debated whether I should eat or not. Didn’t eat. Then I was on my way to this party in Hollywood. Not feeling very well and starving. We finally got there and parked like 2 blocks away from this place and I attempted to walk in my heels. (As it is, when I’m 100% I can barely walk in heels, imagine me sick or drunk...yeah not good) Got inside - it was packed.  I made my way through to say "hello" and "happy birthday" to my manager, then left her to the rest of the birthday wishers and made a beeline to the bar. It might surprise you guys, but I didn’t order a drink - I ordered water instead. Mingled a bit, then decided to sit with my friend (she was also my hairdresser on 'Eastbound & Down') who was there with her two friends. 
I sat for a bit. They had already placed an order for food and booze. Next thing you know, I see the waitress walking up with this huge plate of AMAZING DELICIOUS looking nachos. Of course, they offered some to me. I pondered it for a bit, and was like, “What the hell?, I haven’t eaten all day, one chip covered in melted heavenly cheese with guacamole won’t kill me, right?” So I ate one, savored it, and didn’t have another. I had done it! I had been able to control my inner urge of devouring that whole plate. It could have been 'cause I was sick, but I’m totally taking the credit for this one. I continued to chat with my friend for a bit, but my sinuses were killing me, so I decided to leave. Went and said my goodbyes, and then left with my roommate (who’d I’d brought along to network/mingle). 
We were both starving, so I told her that we could stop at my favorite place in Hollywood called 'Birds Cafe/Bar'. It’s right off of Franklin and Tamarind, in front of the Celebrity Center. Totally love and recommend it. We were seated immediately and I started looking over the menu, and honestly, the only thing that looked appealing in my condition was the tortilla soup. Which I LOVE!!!! Not sure how great of a choice it was, but it seemed better than a lot of my other options. Technically, I could have had a salad, but since I hadn’t consumed any food, I figured it wouldn’t be as filing. We sat there for a bit, ate, and talked again. I felt like I just needed to come home and sleep. So we did.
When I got home, I was still hungry. ( 'cause it was essentially a cup of soup, not a bowl) So I re-heated some chicken and made a salad. The missed workout, still in the back of my mind taunting me. As I finished up my plate of food, I couldn’t help but think, “Come on Liz, you’ve come this far. Don’t let a little cold get in the way of your workout." So I went and changed and got ready to do so. My body aching, my fever back, my eyes drooping  with sleep - but I still worked out. I couldn’t give it 100% like I normally do, but I finished it and now I’m sitting here typing this up because it needs to go up before I go to bed. So I ask you, do I get sick days?
Lizzy, NyQuil is my bestie =) 

2 comments:

  1. The hardest to do is dieting while sick, but you made good choices even when they felt skimpy. I've found that with my regime, protein is super important, so is sodium, it keeps me going, weird.
    Even when I'm sick, I make a point of eating some protein such as you did with the chicken, or beef depending on your preference, cause protein is the healthiest fuel you can have, especially if you're going to work out.
    Another thing that I've come to find as an easy snack for me is fruit baby food, dried fruit and the cereal snacks, super low on calories, nothing but natural sugar added, and they distract you from snacking on things that are not ok, such as chocolate bars and donuts... a grande peppermint mocha... salt and pepper chips...god.
    Keep it going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely hard yesterday although today I woke up feeling a lot better.

    I was reading up on different websites and just like you mentioned all of them recommend a lot of protein. I've been doing mostly chicken but I do want to change it up. Before I started this I was definitely a meat eater, so I may start incorporating beef again. Is pork okay?

    Cool deal on the fruit baby food, banana's always been my fav. I'm going shopping today so I'll probably pick up a few.

    Thank you so much for your tips and encouragement!

    Keep working it too. =)

    ReplyDelete